Padma = Lotus, asana = posture or pose
Pronounced : MA-curr-AA-doh-MOO-kah-shvah-NAS-anna
Makara Adho Mukha Svanasana is an intermediate level rejuvenating yoga posture that helps tones the abdominal muscles. It is a variation of the Dolphin Pose.
How to do Makara Adho Mukha Svanasana (Dolphin Plank pose):
- Begin in Adho Mukha Svanasana and slowly shift the weight of the body to the front.
- Ensure that your shoulders are aligned with your wrists.
- Slowly, lower your arms till the forearms touch the floor. Your palms should be pressed to the floor.
- Keeping your legs straight, position your heels directly above the toes.
- Fix your gaze on the floor and keep your back and knees straight.
- If possible, the palms should be facing each other.
- As you inhale, slowly pull your abdominal muscles in and relax them as you exhale.
- Stay in this posture for a few breaths before returning back to Adho Mukha Svanasana.
Makara Adho Mukha Svanasana (Dolphin Plank pose) for beginners
Beginners can do this pose while being on their knees. Yoga blocks can also be placed below the forehead to support the weight of the body.
Benefits of Makara Adho Mukha Svanasana (Dolphin Plank pose)
- Effectively relives the body of headache, fatigue and back-ache
- Strengthens the arms and legs
- Tones the abdominal muscles
- Improves digestion
- Relieves menstrual discomfort
Contraindications and cautions of Makara Adho Mukha Svanasana (Dolphin Plank pose)
Back injury, neck injury, or spinal injury: Perform this pose only with the supervision of an experienced teacher.
Dolphin Plank pose can be followed up with Shalabasana.
Yoga practice helps develop the body and mind bringing a lot of health benefits yet is not a substitute for medicine. It is important to learn and practice yoga postures under the supervision of a trained Sri Sri Yoga teacher. In case of any medical condition, practice yoga postures after consulting a doctor and a Sri Sri Yoga teacher. Find a Sri Sri Yoga course at an Art of Living Center near you. Do you need information on courses or share feedback? Write to us at email@example.com