Discover your unlimited power and freedom - not as a concept, but as a direct experience with the Sudarshan Kriya -
(age: 18+ years)
(also known as the basic course or Part 1 course)
Learn More | Register Now
Experience an extraordinary sense of peace and renewed vitality with the practice of silence, meditation and service. (also known as Part 2 course or Advanced Meditation Course) Learn More | Register Now
The Art of Living Program for Excellence at Workplace offers Micro, Small, Medium Enterprises a structured intervention to eliminate stress, enhance inspirational levels and arrive at an overall work life balance of its employees. Learn More
Government Executive Program (GEP) is the Art of Living's flagship offering for the Indian Government organizations - Central Government, State Governments, Subordinate Departments, Autonomous Bodies, Public Sector Undertakings, Armed Forces / Police Forces, and Training Institutes Learn More
(Continued from the previous Patanjali Yoga Sutra post on knowledge of sleep)
Knowledge of Dreams
There are five types of dreams:
1. The first type of dream is that which comes up in the form of your cravings and desires.Your unfulfilled desires come up in dreams as fulfillment. Have you experienced this? You want to drink water and you say, 'Not now.' You want to eat ice cream, pizza and you say, 'Not today.And then you go to bed and in your dreams you munch or eat pizza and you have a big scoop of ice cream. You wanted to go for a walk with somebody, your boyfriend or girlfriend, and you could not do it and in your dreams you find yourself going on a walk, going on a boat and skiing in the mountains. All these are your latent desires which come up in dreams. Desires and fears come up as dreams.
2. The second type of dream is related to stressreleased from past experiences (which could come up). All that you have experienced in life comes up as dreams.
3. The third type of dream is an intuitive dream. You get an intuition of what might happen in the future.
4. The fourth type of dream is a mixture of all these four types.
5. The fifth type of dream has nothing to do with you; it is to do with the place you are sleeping in. You are sleeping in a hotel in Italy and in the dream, you experience all the Italian sounds coming and all those strange languages. How many of you have experienced this? You hear people's dialogues which are in a completely different language; you have no idea what it is. But still, you continue to see all those things happening. This is to do with the place (space) there.
So these five types of dreams can occur. And the thing is, you do not know which one is what. Usually, it is the fourth type of dream which is a mixture of all these (types of dreams). So you cannot really distinguish and say, ‘This is my intuitive dream.’ It could be; it need not be. So a wise person would simply brush them all aside. Anyway, it is of no use. It is only a dream.
Even this waking reality is a dream. Now you are all sitting here, tomorrow you will be somewhere else and next week all this will be a dream. What you would do next week is a dream right now. Your mind is more in a dream than it is awake.