Paschim = west; uttana = stretched out; asana = pose
How to do Seated Forward bend yoga pose (Paschimottanasana)
- Sit up with the legs stretched out straight in front of you, keeping the spine erect and toes flexed toward you.
- Breathing in, raise both arms above your head and stretch up.
- Breathing out, bend forward from the hip joints, chin moving toward the toes. Keep the spine erect focusing on moving forwards towards the toes, rather than down towards the knees.
- Place your hands on your legs, wherever they reach, without forcing. If you can, take hold of your toes and pull on them to help you go forward.
- Breathing in, lift your head slightly and lengthen your spine.
- Breathing out, gently move the navel towards the knees.
- Repeat this movement two or three times.
- Drop your head down and breathe deeply for 20-60 seconds.
- Stretch the arms out in front of you.
- Breathing in, with the strength of your arms, come back up to the sitting position.
- Breathe out and lower the arms.
Benefits of the Seated Forward bend (Paschimottanasana)
- Stretches lower back, hamstrings and hips.
- Massages and tones the abdominal and pelvic organs.
- Tones the shoulders.
View All - Sitting Yoga Asanas
Yoga practice helps develop the body and mind bringing a lot of health benefits yet is not a substitute for medicine. It is important to learn and practice yoga postures under the supervision of a trained Art of Living Yoga teacher. In case of any medical condition, practice yoga postures after consulting a doctor and an Art of Living Yoga teacher. Find an Art of Living Yoga program at an Art of Living Center near you. Do you need information on programs or share feedback? Write to us at email@example.com