Humanitarian Organisation Art Of Living Takes To The Streets Of London With Its Message Of Non Violence 11th Aug 2011
Humanitarian organization Art of Living is leading its volunteers to the streets of London to offer post-traumatic courses to Londoners left feeling vulnerable and shocked after the riots, which began in Tottenham on Saturday.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar*, founder of the organization, has expressed his concern over the riots stating that; “Young people should become more constructive, not destructive, in working towards a stress-free and violence-free society,” and suggests “the nation comes together in meditation and prayer for victims of this unrest.”
Through the Art of Living Foundation, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar has been instrumental in providing and conducting trauma relief workshops to victims of man-made disasters such as the 9/11 New York attacks, Madrid train bombings, London underground bombings, and natural disasters such as Haiti, Hurricane Katrina and the more recent Japanese earthquake. The workshops have also been effective in reducing trauma levels and stress in war-torn areas such as Kosovo and Iraq.
The organization will offer free workshops across London to Londoners who are in fear and keen to eliminate and manage the mental and physical stress associated with the events of the past few days.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s overall ethos of a “Vision of a world that is crime-free, stress-free and violence-free” has never been more poignant as it is today. He has dedicated his life working towards this goal and his trained group of volunteers will help Londoners imbibe and embrace this message.
Art of Living urges the nation to join hands and come together to help create a stress-free country that is free of violence and an inspiration for the youth of today.
The Art of Living teaches the essence of life through aspects such as powerful breathing techniques**, how to eliminate daily stress, improve relationship, and helps youth stay away from influences of drugs and violence. The Art of Living will soon be working with the relevant authorities and councils in London and the UK to offer these programs to youth as part of a long-term initiative to uplift and instill respect to UK’s society.
Post traumatic workshops will be held in venues across London for further information please contact email@example.com.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar* and Art of Living Foundation Overview
Founded in 1981 by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, The Art of Living Foundation is a not-for-profit, educational, and humanitarian NGO engaged in stress-management and service initiatives. The organization operates globally in 151 countries with over 5,000 centers established worldwide and is one of the largest volunteer based organizations in the world working in special consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations. It also has joint initiatives with United Nations Millennium Campaign (UNMC) and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
As a spiritual teacher, Sri Sri has rekindled the traditions of yoga and meditation and offered them in a form that is relevant to the 21st century. Beyond reviving ancient wisdom, Sri Sri has created new techniques for personal and social transformation. These include the Sudarshan Kriya® which has helped millions of people to find relief from stress and discover inner reservoirs of energy and peace in daily life. In a mere 30 years, Sri Sri’s programs have raised the quality of life for participants in 151 countries.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s vision of a violence-free, stress-free society has expressed itself in numerous service initiatives that have inspired volunteers worldwide to carry these forward with his guidance. For three decades, Sri Sri has been engaged in promoting human values, fostering interfaith harmony, building communal unity, encouraging social responsibility and spearheading humanitarian causes, all forming parts of his efforts to achieve sustainable peace on our planet.
For further enquiries, high resolution images and interview requests please contact Niravta Patel on 07958 505 361 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
www.artofliving.org www.srisri.org www.iahv.org
*Sri Sri Ravi Shankar is a renowned spiritual leader and multi-faceted humanitarian whose mission of uniting the world into a violence-free family has inspired millions of people worldwide. The icon of non-violence and universal human values, Sri Sri seeks global peace through service and dialog. Born in 1956 in southern India, Sri Sri's appeal transcends class, race, religion and nationality. Millions of people revere him as their spiritual leader, and look up to him for inner peace and promoting ecumenical values.
In 1981, Sri Sri started the Art of Living Foundation, an international nonprofit educational and humanitarian organization. The Foundation, now active in more than 151 countries, offers educational and self-development programs designed to eliminate stress and foster a sense of well-being. In Europe and the United States, the Foundation's programs are helping inner city youth turn away from gang violence, drugs and alcohol. Sri Sri's Prison Programs have helped transform the lives of an estimated 150,000 inmates around the world. In 1997, Sri Sri founded the International Association for Human Values, a humanitarian non-profit organization that advances human values in political, economic, industrial, and social spheres. In South Asia, South Africa, and Latin America, the Association's sustainable development programs have reached more than 30,000 rural communities.
While his self development programs have popularized traditionally exclusive ancient techniques, Sri Sri's social initiatives address an array of issues such as conflict resolution, disaster and trauma relief, prisoner rehabilitation, youth leadership, women's empowerment, female foeticide, child labor, and access to education. In Kashmir and Sri Lanka, Sri Sri is working to further dialogue between opposing parties to resolve the conflicts peacefully. Sri Sri travels to more than 40 countries a year to share his message of social responsibility, and that all great spiritual traditions share common goals and values. His teachings of love, practical wisdom, and service promote harmony among people, and encourage individuals to follow their chosen spiritual path, while honoring other paths
**The Art of Breathing program features a unique and powerful breathing technique called the Sudarshan Kriya® which is traditionally understood to use specific rhythms of the breath to eliminate stress, support the various organs and systems within the body, transform overpowering emotions and restore peace of mind.
Combined with other breathing and meditation techniques, knowledge about the laws governing one's mind, and skills that help deal effectively with negative emotions, the course offers individuals tools to help deal with the day-to-day stresses of life, thereby promoting a better quality of life and increased happiness and inner-peace. This special course will also include the following topics: Nature of enlightenment, amalgamation of material and spiritual wealth, health & happiness, personal right versus personal responsibility, understanding the principles of karma.
SRI SRI RAVI SHANKAR’S SOCIAL INITIATIVES
- Disaster Relief: Attending to the mental, emotional and material needs of those struck by man-made or natural disasters, Sri Sri has designed a three-stage intervention program for disaster relief: material relief, trauma relief, and long-term rehabilitation. These programs have immediately supported the following disasters amongst many others: Sichuan earthquake (2008), VirginIa Tech campus shootings USA (2007), Kashmir/Pakistan earthquake (2005), Hurricane Katrina (2005), Indian Ocean tsunami (2004), Russian Beslan school hostage crisis (2004), Madrid train attack (2004), and the 9/11 terror attacks (2001).
- Prisoner Rehabilitation: Sri Sri began the Prison Program in 1990, to provide prisoners with an opportunity to integrate into the mainstream society and heal themselves. The program features self-development workshops with an emphasis on human values, microfinance incentives and vocational training programs. The project also features programs for law enforcement officials.
- Peace Initiatives: Sri Sri's unique approach of facilitating outer peace through individual empowerment has effected long-lasting change in conflict hotspots across the world. This approach, combined with self development programs, the principle of non-violence, dialogue and rehabilitation programs, has helped every section of society, from militants and estranged youth to victims and security forces, transforming hate, bitterness and violence into joy. Peace building efforts have taken place in Iraq, Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, India, Ivory Coast and Kosovo.
- Inclusive Development: The 5H (Health, Hygiene, Homes, Human values, and Harmony in diversity) program is making a huge difference in the world through service and spirituality. The aim of the program is to uplift individuals and communities, and help them become self-reliant, both socially and economically.
- Corporate Culture: ‘Corporate Culture & Spirituality’ (CCS) is an initiative of the International Association for Human Values. While central themes vary, this unique annual symposium provides business and spiritual leaders with a platform to share insights and experiences on social responsibility, business ethics, and sustainable and profitable leadership.
SRI SRI RAVI SHANKAR AND ART OF LIVING IN THE MEDIA
Now, non resident Indians want to vote for a...read more
"If you drop out of school, you are six times more...read more