Ardha = half; Matsyendra = king of the fish matsya = fish; indra = ruler.
Pronounced: ARE-dah MAT-see-en-DRAHS-anna
How to do Sitting half spinal twist (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
- Sit up with the legs stretched out straight in front of you, keeping the feet together and the spine erect.
- Bend the left leg and place the heal of the left foot beside the right hip (optionally, you can keep the left leg straight).
- Take the right leg over the left knee.
- Place the left hand on the right knee and the right hand behind you.
- Twist the waist, shoulders and neck in this sequence to the right and look over the right shoulder.
- Keep the spine erect.
- Hold and continue with gentle long breaths in and out.
- Breathing out, release the right hand first (the hand behind you), release the waist, then chest,lastly the neck and sit up relaxed yet straight.
- Repeat to the other side.
- Breathing out, come back to the front and relax.
Benefits of Sitting half spinal twist (Ardha matsyendrasana)
- Makes spine supple
- Increases the elasticity of the spine
- Opens the chest and increases the oxygen supply to the lungs