A healthy digestive system in Ayurveda is referred to as the mainstream of our well-being. The root cause of most of the diseases is inefficient digestion. The metabolic energy of digestion called agni helps in eliminating the body wastes and toxins. It breaks down the dense physical matter into subtle energy the body needs, generates internal warmth and produces a clear mind
Let’s think of our digestive system as a juicer, body toxins as fruit waste, agni as juicer blades and energy as juice. If the juicer blades are weak, less juice is generated and there is more of fruit waste left. Similarly when this agni (juicer blade) is weak, there is not enough digestive power to metabolise food into energy(juice).The result? More toxins(fruit waste) are accumulated in the cells. Thus a stronger agni (better juicer blades) is required for a good digestive system. An easy way to support digestive agni is through Yoga.
How Does Yoga Help In Having A Better Digestive System?
Yoga couples exercises with rhythmic breathing. Breathing brings life force into the body and cleans the body of toxic materials formed due to wrong diet, unhealthy lifestyle & accumulated stresses. It improves agni, creates body balance and longevity rejuvenating the whole system.
Yoga Poses To Aide Digestion:
- Trikonasana (Triangle pose)-Improves digestion, stimulates appetite and alleviates constipation.
- Paschimottanasana (Forward bending pose)- Relieves digestive problems like constipation.
- PavanaMuktsana- Improves gastrointestinal problems
- Matsyendrasana- Massages the abdominal organs, alleviating digestive ailments.
- Ushtrasana (Camel pose)- It stretches the stomach and intestines, alleviating constipation.
Yoga – Brings In A Wow Factor
There are more reasons to do yoga than not to. If we think of it, we are certain to get a list of things that be gained by having a good digestive system.
- A light, supple body
- A body that remains alert & active • Strong bones and muscle
- Fat reduction
- Increased physical strength
- Improved appetite
- Increased capability of coping with fatigue
All this can come our way. All we need to do is to practice yoga daily and have a good digestive system. Every time we do yoga, we are gifting ourselves an opportunity to enhance our health.
To learn yoga from a yoga expert click Sri Sri Yoga