How to do Lying-down Body Twist (Natrajasana)
- Lie on your back with arms horizontally stretched out in line with the shoulders.
- Bend your knees and bring your feet close to your hips. The soles of the feet are fully on the ground.
- Swing the knees to the left until the left knee touches the ground (the right knee and thigh are resting on the left knee and thigh). Simultaneously, turn the head to the right and look at your right palm.
- Checkpoint: Shoulder blades must touch the ground. While the body is twisted, there is a tendency for one of the shoulder blades to get lifted off the ground. One must work against this tendency for the stretch to be effective.
- Feel the stretch in the thighs, groin, arms, neck, stomach and back as you hold the pose. With each exhalation, relax deeper into the pose.
- After a few minutes, you may slowly turn the head back to the center, and straighten the torso and legs.
- Mirror the pose on the other side.
Benefits of Lying-down Body Twist (Natrajasana)
- Stretches the spine and quadriceps.
- Brings deep relaxation to the body and mind
Contraindications of Lying-down Body Twist (Natrajasana)
- Avoid this posture in case of spinal injuries.
Yoga practice helps develop the body and mind bringing a lot of health benefits yet is not a substitute for medicine. It is important to learn and practice yoga postures under the supervision of a trained Sri Sri Yoga teacher. In case of any medical condition, practice yoga postures after consulting a doctor and a Sri Sri Yoga teacher. Find a Sri Sri Yoga program at an Art of Living Center near you. Do you need information on programs or share feedback? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.