Chilean 'Vegan Soy Meat Empanadas with Pebre'
By Isidora Sotomayor
This dish is typically eaten by Chileans mostly in September, when we celebrate our Independence Day. There are a lot of different fillings - cheese, spinach, corn etc., but the typical filling is made with meat. However, this recipe presents the vegan version with soy meat and "Pebre", which is a Chilean salsa.
We learned to do this recipe with my family in a cooking course we took in the north of our country. All the ingredients were organic. It was a beautiful experience and we learned how we can change ingredients and cook traditional Chilean food with a healthy veggie twist.
Ingredients for the Empanada filling
- 500 gms. soy meat
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- ½ cup coriander, chopped
- Olives (as many as you like)
- Raisins – a handful (optional)
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup finely chopped tomato
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the crust
- 2 frozen vegan pie crusts
- Soy creamer, for glazing
Ingredients for Pebre
- 7 finely chopped tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Red Vinegar
- Half onion - finely chopped
- Green chili 1-2, diced
- 2 tsps. washed, chopped coriander leaves
For the vegan empanada
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add diced onion and sauté until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining filling ingredients, including soy meat (previously soaked for 30 hours and squeezed to remove moisture), tomatoes, olives, oregano, salt, pepper, and raisins (soaked and drained) if you prefer a slight sweet flavor. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, covered, in the refrigerator for ½ hour until easy to handle.
- Cut dough into 5" diameter circles. Place 1-2 tablespoons of filling in center and fold over, sealing the edge with a fork.
- Place evenly spaced on baking sheet. Brush with soy creamer.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes on a wire rack before serving. Can be served warm or cold with Pebre.
To make pebre
- Peel the tomatoes and chop them into fine cubes.
- Chop the onion in fine little cubes.
- Dice green chili very small.
- Mix everything together.
- Add chopped coriander, salt, red vinegar and olive oil. Add a spoon or two of water if you prefer it a little moist.