- Carrots peeled and shredded 2 cups
- Full Fat Milk 2 cups
- Sugar 3.5 cups
- Saffron a few strands
- Cardamom powder ½ tsp
- Cashews 2 tbsp broken
- Raisins 2 tbsp
- Ghee (clarified butter) ½ c plus 2 tbsp
1. Peel, chop and shred carrots.
2. Heat a deep wide pan with 2 tbsp ghee.
3. Add shredded carrots and saute till it reduces to ¾th of its volume.
4. Once done, add milk, cardamom powder, saffron and 2 tbsp ghee and continue to cook till the milk reduces to ½ its quantity. Takes 15 to 20 mins.
5. Now, add sugar now and mix well.
6. You will find that the mixture turns watery once again.
7. Add ghee after 5 mins after adding the sugar.
8. Continue to cook the mixture till it reduces to ½ its volume.
9. Takes another 15 to 20 mins.
10. You will know that the halwa is done when you find the ghee oozing from the sides and the halwa comes away from its sides.
11. Once done, heat a small pan with 2 tbsp ghee.
12. Add broken cashews and fry till golden.
13. Drain and add to the halwa.
14. Now, add raisins to the pan and fry till plump.
15. Add this along with the ghee to the halwa. Mix well. Your carrot halwa is ready. Serve hot.