By Rachana Yemula | Posted: October 10, 2018
Enjoy this quick and simple recipe with added authentic flavors. Potato is a good source of starch, a great way to replenish the body energy stores after a fast. Cooked exclusively during the festive season in eastern cultures, it can be a grounding food in some colder climates. A clean vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free recipe for your higher senses.
3 medium size potatoes - cut into wedges
2 tbsp - kusuri methi ( Dried fenugreek )
1 inch - ginger, freshly grated
1 pinch - hing ( asafetida )
1/4 tsp - black mustard seeds
1/4 tsp - cumin seeds
4 - curry leaves ( optional )
1 - green chilli slit in half lengthwise
1 - tbsp ghee/organic coconut oil
1/4 tsp - turmeric
4 - whole peppercorns crushed ( optional )
Salt to taste
1 small bunch - fresh cilantro - chopped
1 tsp - fresh squeezed lemon juice ( optional )
- Wash and peel the potato, cut them into wedges
- Bring water to boil in a pan with 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Now add the potatoes to boiling water and boil for 8-10 minutes until soft
- Turn off the flame, drain the potatoes and set aside to cool.
- Heat ghee/oil in a saute pan on a medium flame
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, fry until you hear them sizzle and a pop
- Add hing, curry leaves, green chilli, crushed peppercorn and kusuri methi
- Now add the boiled potato, turmeric, and salt. Gently mix so as not to break the potato wedges.
- Cook for 3 minutes on low heat until desired consistency.
- Turn off the heat and add freshly grated ginger
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro to complete the dish
- You can add fresh lemon juice for added zesty taste.
Note: For a vegan version use organic coconut oil or any organic oil in place of ghee. Optional ingredients can be omitted
Fenugreek may have beneficial effects in maintaining blood sugar levels, ideal body weight and various other health benefits. Potatoes are a rich source of B-complex vitamins, Vitamin C, manganese and other essential elements necessary for the body.
Recipe by Rachana Yemula, Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, Founder of Wellnessboon, Doctor, Yogi and Meditator.