Youth Empowerment in Schoolsa project of IAHV, a partner nonprofit of The Art of Living
About YES! for Schools
a project of IAHV, a partner nonprofit of The Art of Living.
YES! for Schools is dedicated to providing youth with a healthy body, a healthy mind, and a healthy lifestyle. We do this by offering youth practical tools and life skills to manage stress and emotions. When students learn how to manage their stress in a healthy way, they exhibit greater confidence and motivation to succeed in school and make healthy choices when faced with life’s challenges.
Young people face emotional issues such as low self-esteem, depression and anxiety that are a source of great stress, which inhibits learning. Without a healthy alternative, students often turn to unhealthy strategies to cope with these problems including: smoking, alcohol or drugs, aggression and violence, and withdrawal from social interaction. As students learn to reduce stress and manage emotions they gain the ability to focus and perform well academically at school, as well as the ability to build more positive relationships with their peers, parents, and teachers.
and teachers have experienced the YES! for Schools program
Where we’ve offered programs
of the USA
Students' Responses After Yes!
Overall, I feel better and happier after this class.
I feel more able to focus after this class.
I am getting a better quality of sleep after this class.
I feel able to manage my stress after this class.
I feel I am better able to manage my emotions after this class.
I feel significantly calmer and more relaxed after this class.
The Healthy Body module encourages physical fitness and healthy food choices through:
- Physical activity that includes exercise to stretch and strengthen the body
- Experiential processes that encourage mindful eating
- Interactive discussions on food and nutrition
The Healthy Mind module includes stress management and relaxation techniques that encourage a positive mental attitude through:
- Targeted breathing techniques that reduce stress, anger, anxiety, and depression; improve focus and concentration, and enhance learning ability
- Relaxation exercises that encourage a calm state of mind
- Experiential processes that revitalize human values such as responsibility, respect, kindness, belonging, honesty, enthusiasm and service
The Healthy Lifestyle module includes social-emotional learning and life skills in conflict resolution through:
- Teamwork exercises that teach how to manage emotions and resolve conflict
- Interactive processes that encourage pro-social behavior, problem solving and cooperation
- Dynamic discussions that teach goal setting and good decision-making
- Practical knowledge that increases self-confidence and inner-strength to help students handle peer pressure and make healthy choices when faced with life’s challenges
Featured Rural Transformation Service Projects
360 million people in India i.e. roughly 40 percent of rural households do not have access to electricity. A majority of these people rely on kerosene and other fuels to meet their lighting needs, which is hazardous to both their health and to the environment. Every year 2.2 million litres of kerosene is burned for lighting, emitting approximately 5.5 million tonnes of carbon dioxide. Traditional fuel combustion, the primary source of indoor air pollution, causes between 300,000-400,000 deaths per year in India alone.
Initiated in 2012, The Art of Living’s vision to ‘Light a Million Homes’ is an on-going campaign inspiring individuals and corporate partners to work with us to bring clean and affordable lighting solutions to un-electrified homes and villages in India and in Nepal.
The Light a Home follows an integrated approach that combines multiple elements of rural transformation including building rural entrepreneurs. While there is still a journey to be completed, smiles are already lighting up thousands of faces as they begin to experience the benefits of this project.
- Assam: India’s largest solar battery charging station launched to power 287 houses on a remote island in Dibrugarh, Assam in December 2016. With women heading the implementation, the portable solution has been installed on a sandy island.
- Arunachal Pradesh: 33 homes light up in the remote regions
- Jammu & Kashmir: Two schools fully electrified after the 2014 floods
- Tamil Nadu: A remote tribal settlement of Kodamban Kombai in the Nilgiri forest was electrified for the first time
- Karnataka: Three remote villages on the border of Karnataka and Goa got electricity for the first time in their history
- Maharashtra: Solar lamps provide portable electricity to nomadic laborers who are migrants and travel from place to place