Pronounced: ARE-dah MAT-see-en-DRAHS-anna
Ardha = half; Matsyendra = king of the fish; Matsya = fish; Indra = ruler.
How to do Sitting Half Spinal Twist (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
- Sit up with the legs stretched out straight in front of you, keeping the feet together and the spine erect.
- Bend the left leg and place the heal of the left foot beside the right hip (optionally, you can keep the left leg straight).
- Take the right leg over the left knee.
- Place the left hand on the right knee and the right hand behind you.
- Twist the waist, shoulders and neck in this sequence to the right and look over the right shoulder.
- Keep the spine erect.
- Hold and continue with gentle long breaths in and out.
- Breathing out, release the right hand first (the hand behind you), release the waist, then chest,lastly the neck and sit up relaxed yet straight.
- Repeat to the other side.
- Breathing out, come back to the front and relax.
Benefits of the Sitting Half Spinal Twist (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
- Makes spine supple.
- Increases the elasticity of the spine.
- Opens the chest and increases the oxygen supply to the lungs.
Yoga practice helps develop the body and mind bringing a lot of health benefits yet is not a substitute for medicine. It is important to learn and practice yoga postures under the supervision of a trained Sri Sri Yoga teacher. In case of any medical condition, practice yoga postures after consulting a doctor and an Sri Sri Yoga teacher. Find an Sri Sri Yoga program at an Art of Living Center near you. Do you need information on programs or share feedback? Write to us at email@example.com