136 Virgil Day Rd, Boone, North Carolina, United States, 28607
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
The ceremony of Upanayanam, a Sanskrit word which literally means 'moving closer' to higher knowledge marks the beginning of a new phase in a person’s life.
Upanayanam is one of the sacred traditional 'samskaras'or 'purificatory rites', prescribed in the vedic way of life. The vedic way of life has many samskaras, or purificatory rites, to signify an individual's journey through life. The samskaras are said to make us eligible for attaining the highest good in two ways: they remove the impurities we have acquired, and they bestow beneficial qualities on us. Of these samskaras, 16 are considered very significant and Upanayanam is one of the 16 main samskaras.
Sandhyavandanam consists of excerpts from the Vedas that are to be performed thrice daily at morning, at noon, and in the evening. Upanayanam with Sandhyavandanam will be conducted with men and women together in the same ceremony.
Please Note: All participants require an 'Upanayanam Kit' and for the convenience of all, it will be provided upon arrival at the center on Dec 25th. Additionally, all provisions needed for the program will also be provided. There will be no additional charges for the kit and provisions as it is included as part of the course expenses.
Both men and women who sincerely wish to enroll are eligible for this course.
For those under 18 yrs of age: Both boys and girls (age 8 yrs- 18yrs) can enroll in this program if they have crossed their 8th birthday by Dec 25th and sincerely wish to enroll. We request parents to use their discretion when signing up their children; and to make sure that the child will be able to sit through all 4 days and sessions of the program.
Pregnant women who have completed their first tri-semester are eligible to enroll.
Women who may be on their menstrual cycle between Dec 25th-29th, please email Boone2014@us.artofliving.org for further guidance before you register for the course.
Participants are required to be vegetarian, alcohol and drug free before, during and after the course.
Participation requires attending all sessions. If you miss a session, you will not be able to continue with the Program and no refunds will be possible.
Course fee: $1400/-
Early Bird Discount Ends: Dec 11th, 2014 midnight EST after which the course fee increases to $1500.
Please note: $700 of the course fee is tax deductible to the individual paying the registration fee.
Course fee includes daily meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) starting with dinner on Dec 25th and ending with lunch on Dec 29th, Upanayanam Kit and all provisions needed for the program . Please note, Course fee does not include accommodations.
Upanayanam samsakara is usually done only once in a lifetime. However if you have done the Upanayanam but wish to repeat and review the procedure and knowledge, please email us for details on how to enroll.
Start Date: Dec 25th, 2014 (Check-in 2pm-8pm)
End Date: Dec 29th, 2014 at 2pm after Lunch
Checkout: Dec 29th, 2014 during Breakfast break
Accommodation: To enhance the experience of your course and to reduce the inconvenience of travel in winter conditions, we highly encourage you to book housing on Center premises while participating in Upanayanam and Sandhyavandanam. You can book center housing while registering for the course online. Please note:
- Accommodation cost is not included in the course fee.
- When you register, please select appropriate housing option.
- As per center policy, men & women will be housed separately.
- Limited Double, Triple & Quad Occupancy rooms are available on first come, first serve basis.
- Limited Family Accommodations are available on first come, first serve basis. Please email us at Boone2014@us.artofliving.org for more information.
Family Housing Important Information:
1. Family Housing is applicable to families with children under the age of 18yrs, where all family members are registered for courses during Dec 25-29 at Art of Living Retreat Center.
2. All family members staying in family housing should be registered for courses.
3. To avail Family Housing, parents need to be registered for a Graduate program and all children should be registered for youth programs.
How to get Family housing on Art of Living retreat center premises:
If all members of your family are registering for courses at Art of Living Retreat Center between Dec 25 - 29, you may be able to stay together on premises.
- Please go ahead and register yourself and your family members for courses.
- Please choose accommodation option- ‘Option for Families Approved for Family Housing’ when you register for the courses.
- Once you register all members of your family, please email us at Boone2014@us.artofliving.org with Name, age, gender, course registered for and transaction id of each member of the family.
- Family housing is limited and available on first come first served basis. The team will confirm housing for your family based on availability. We request your understanding and support on this.
- Once the team reviews your information, they will confirm if you can avail family housing and will respond to you with instructions on how to register and pay for family housing. Since all housing on premises is 4 shared, the cost will depend on the number of the people in your family, and if there is a possibility of you sharing space with another course participant who is not a member of your family.
- The family housing will be confirmed once housing registration and payment is complete.
- If we are not able to accommodate your family, we will be happy to assist you with alternate options.
Vegetarian meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) starting with Dinner in Dec 25th and ending with Lunch on 29th will be served. Please note our vegetarian meals do not contain meat or egg products.
If you have Food Allergies, please email us by Dec 9th at Boone2014@us.artofliving.org and we will let you know if we will be able to accommodate your request. We will not be able to accommodate personal/diet preferences.
- Limited Parking is available at the Art of Living Retreat Center. Due to large number of expected guests and winter weather conditions, we need to maximize the parking on premises and request you to Carpool. Carpooling is strongly encouraged and parking preference at the center will be given to course participants with 3 or more people per car.
Details on how to reserve your parking spot at the Center will be coming soon. Please check back for updates.