How to do Seated Forward Bend Yoga pose (Paschimottanasana)
- Sit up with the legs stretched out straight in front of you, keeping the spine erect and toes flexed toward you.
- Breathing in, raise both arms above your head and stretch up.
- Breathing out, bend forward from the hip joints, chin moving toward the toes. Keep the spine erect focusing on moving forwards towards the toes, rather than down towards the knees.
- Place your hands on your legs, wherever they reach, without forcing. If you can, take hold of your toes and pull on them to help you go forward.
- Breathing in, lift your head slightly and lengthen your spine.
- Breathing out, gently move the navel towards the knees.
- Repeat this movement two or three times.
- Drop your head down and breathe deeply for 20-60 seconds.
- Stretch the arms out in front of you.
- Breathing in, with the strength of your arms, come back up to the sitting position.
- Breathe out and lower the arms.
Benefits of the Seated Forward Bend (Paschimottanasana)
- Stretches lower back, hamstrings and hips.
- Massages and tones the abdominal and pelvic organs.
- Tones the shoulders.
View All - Sitting Yoga Postures
Yoga practice helps develop the body and mind bringing a lot of health benefits yet is not a substitute for medicine. It is important to learn and practice yoga postures under the supervision of a trained Sri Sri Yoga teacher. In case of any medical condition, practice yoga postures after consulting a doctor and a Sri Sri Yoga teacher. Find a Sri Sri Yoga program at an Art of Living Center near you. Do you need information on programs or share feedback? Write to us at email@example.com