What is meditation?
Meditation is relaxation. It is not about concentration, it’s actually about de-concentration. It’s not about focussing one’s thoughts on one thing, but instead on becoming thoughtless. The overall benefits of meditations include a calm mind, enhanced concentration, improved clarity and communication, and relaxation of mind and body. Regular practice of meditation has a profound impact on the core three areas of our existence - physical, mental, and spiritual.
Here, we break down the benefits under each area. The benefits emphasize on why practicing meditation is touted as the necessity in today’s busier times.
5 physical benefits
With meditation, the physiology changes and every cell in the body is filled with more prana (life force). As an individual becomes regular with practicing meditation, there is a visible increase in joy, peace, and enthusiasm. This happens because of the increased prana in the body.
On the physical level, meditation:
- lowers high blood pressure
- lowers the levels of blood lactate, reducing anxiety attacks
- decreases tension-related pain, namely headaches, ulcers, insomnia, muscle and joint problems
- increases serotonin production that improves mood and behavior
- strengthens the immune system
- increases the energy level as you gain an inner source of energy.
11 mental benefits of meditation
Meditation brings the brainwave pattern into an alpha state that promotes healing. The mind becomes fresh, delicate and beautiful. It cleanses and nourishes you from within and calms you, whenever you feel overwhelmed, unstable, or emotionally shut down.
With regular practice of meditation:
- anxiety decreases
- emotional stability improves
- creativity increases
- happiness increases
- intuition develops
- gain clarity and peace of mind
- problems become smaller
- meditation sharpens the mind
- relaxes the mind, thus giving deep relaxation
4 points to remember
- A sharp mind without expansion causes tension, anger, and frustration.
- An expanded consciousness without sharpness can lead to lack of action/progress.
- The balance of a sharp mind and an expanded consciousness brings perfection.
- Meditation makes you aware - that your inner attitude determines your happiness.
3 spiritual benefits of meditation
Meditation doesn’t have a religion and can be practiced by anybody regardless of the faith they follow.
- Effortless transition from being someone to merging with the infinite and recognizing yourself as an inseparable part of the whole cosmos is the deeper essence of meditation.
- In a meditative state, you are in a space of vastness, calmness and joy and this is what you emit into the environment, bringing harmony to the Creation, vis-a-vis the planet.
- Meditation brings about a true personal transformation. As you learn more about yourself, you’ll naturally start discovering more about yourself.
What is the best way to get all these benefits of meditation?
5 benefits for students
- Greater confidence
- More focus and clarity
- Better health
- More mental strength and energy
- Greater dynamism!
Regular practice is necessary. It takes only a few minutes every day. Once imbibed into the daily routine, meditation becomes the best part of your day. Meditation is like a seed; when you cultivate a seed with love, the more it blossoms.
Busy people from all backgrounds are grateful to pause and enjoy a refreshing few minutes of meditation each day. Dive deep into yourself and enrich your life.
Practicing meditation regularly alleviates you from stress-related problems, deeply relaxes the mind and rejuvenates the system.
The Art of Living’s Sahaj Samadhi Meditation is a specially crafted program to help you tap into your unlimited potential by diving deep within yourself.
“In meditation, healing can happen. When the mind is calm, alert...
Whether you are new to meditation, out of practice or a regular...
I had to once make a presentation. I was not ready. Something...