Even pet cats can teach us lessons in yoga! With a keen eye, the yogi absorbs ideas from the world around. Marjari asana, or the cat stretch, incorporates the excellent feline stretch in the yoga workout.
Marjari = Cat; Asana = Posture or Pose
How To Do Cat Stretch (Marjariasana)
- Come onto your fours. Form a table such that your back forms the table top and your hands and feet form the legs of the table.
- Keep your arms perpendicular to the floor, with the hands directly under the shoulders and flat on the ground; your knees are hip-width apart.
- Look straight ahead.
- As you inhale, raise your chin and tilt your head back, push your navel downwards and raise your tailbone. Compress your buttocks. Do you feel a slight tingle here?
- Hold the Cat pose and take long, deep breaths.
- Follow this by a countermovement: As you exhale, drop your chin to your chest and arch your back up as much as you can; relax the buttocks.
- Hold this pose for a few seconds before you return to the initial table-like stage.
- Continue five or six rounds before you come out of this yoga posture.
- Tip from the Sri Sri Yoga expert: When you do the movement slowly and gracefully, its effect is more powerful and meditative.
Benefits Of Marjariasana / Cat Stretch
- Brings flexibility to the spine
- Strengthens wrists and shoulders
- Massages the digestive organs and improves digestion
- Tones the abdomen
- Improves digestion
- Relaxes the mind
- Improves blood circulation
Contraindication of the Cat Stretch (Marjariasana)
Consult your doctor if you have back or neck-related problems and practice Cat Stretch (Marjariasana) under the guidance of an Sri Sri Yoga teacher.
Yoga practice helps develop the body and mind bringing a lot of health benefits yet is not a substitute for medicine. It is important to learn and practice yoga postures under the supervision of a trained Sri Sri Yoga teacher. In case of any medical condition, practice yoga postures after consulting a doctor and an Sri Sri Yoga teacher. Find an Sri Sri Yoga course at an Art of Living Center near you. Do you need information on courses or share feedback? Write to us at email@example.com