For centuries, people from all civilizations have offered prayers to the sun, the ultimate source of life and energy. One such practice is the Surya Namaskar. Here are a few FAQs which will help you know more about this unique practice for holistic.
What is Surya Namaskar?
Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation is an ancient technique of paying respects to the Sun and constitutes 12 different postures. It is a form of expressing gratitude to this source of all life on the planet.
Does it have any base in science?
"All our emotions get stored in the solar plexus. It is also the point from where one's gut feelings arise. The size of the solar plexus is said to be like that of a small gooseberry. However, for those who do yoga and meditation, it becomes three to four times larger than the normal size. The more expanded your solar plexus, the greater is your mental stability and your intuition".
~ Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
Yes, it does. In fact, it is important to understand the science behind this ancient technique. This will help you approach this powerful yoga practice with the right outlook. Ancient sages of India have said different energies govern different parts of the body. For instance, the solar plexus located behind the navel is connected to the Sun. Regular practice of Surya Namaskar enhances the solar plexus. This, in turn, increases your creativity, intuitive abilities, decision-making, confidence and leadership skills. This is why the practice of Surya Namaskar is highly recommended.
When can I do these asanas?
You can do Surya Namaskar at any time of the day. However, it is best to do it at sunrise. This is when sun rays help revitalize the body and refresh the mind. There are benefits at other times of the day too. If you do it in the afternoon, it energizes your body instantly and at dusk, it helps you unwind.
Can you practice it at any pace?
These 3-speed variations can help you get optimum benefits of Surya Namaskar:
Slow pace: It helps to make your body flexible
Medium pace: It helps to tone your muscles
Fast pace: It acts as an excellent cardiovascular workout and helps in weight loss
What are the benefits of Surya Namaskar steps?
Benefits of Surya Namaskar steps are manifold. It helps in better functioning of the body and mental faculties. To sum up, a few are listed below:
- Postures are a good blend of warm-ups and asanas.
- It helps to keep you disease-free and healthy.
- Regular practice of Surya Namaskar promotes balance in the body.
- It improves blood circulation throughout the body.
- Strengthens the heart.
- Tones digestive tract.
- Stimulates abdominal muscles, respiratory system, lymphatic system, spinal nerves and other internal organs.
- In addition, it tones the spine, neck, shoulder, arms, hands, wrist, back and leg muscles, promoting overall flexibility.
- Psychologically, it regulates the inter-connectedness of body, breath, and mind, thus making you calmer and boosting the energy levels with sharpened awareness.
There are also specific benefits of Surya Namaskar for weight loss, hair, and skin.
- It is an intensive physical exercise that works on every part of the body.
- You can increase the number by the day and watch the pounds disappear. The bends and stretches help you lose flab evenly.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar for hair
- Surya Namaskar improves blood circulation to the scalp, thus preventing hair loss.
- The increased blood circulation nourishes the head and there is a healthy growth.
- Different poses help prevent graying of hair.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar for glowing skin
- Surya Namaskar improves blood circulation to all parts of the body. This helps keep the skin young.
- It increases energy and vitality, making your face glow with radiance, which helps the skin stay firm.
- As Surya Namaskar helps relieve stress, it prevents onset of wrinkles.
How can children enjoy benefits of Surya Namaskar?
With cut throat competition everywhere, there has been a sudden increase in children struggling with stress and anxiety. Surya Namaskar helps calm the mind and improves concentration and endurance. It reduces the feeling of anxiety and restlessness, especially during exams. Regular practice of Surya Namaskar also gives strength and vitality to the body. It is a great workout for their growing muscles. It improves spine’s flexibility and limbs of young aspiring athletes. Even five year old’s can practice Surya Namaskar daily.
Why should women do Surya Namaskar?
Surya Namaskar can do what months of dieting cannot. Hence, it is a blessing for health-conscious women. This is an easy and natural way to stay in shape. Some of the Sun Salutation poses help lose extra fat around the belly. They do this by stimulating sluggish glands, like the thyroid gland, inducing it to increase hormonal secretions. Regular practice of Surya Namaskar can also help regulate irregular menstrual cycles and assist in child birth. Finally, it helps your face glow, prevents wrinkles and makes you appear ageless.
Surya Namaskar enhances intuition
Regular practice of Sun Salutations and meditation helps the almond-sized solar plexus becomes palm-sized one. This expansion of the solar plexus helps develops your intuitive ability, making you more focused. On the other hand, contraction can lead to depression and other negative tendencies.
So, we highly recommend that you do these poses regularly. It boosts your mind, body, and spirit. Further more, you can try out these tips to fully enjoy the benefits of Surya Namaskar.
Yoga practice helps develop the body and mind bringing a lot of health benefits. Yet, it is not a substitute for medicine. It is important to learn and practice yoga postures under the supervision of a trained Sri Sri Yoga teacher. In the case of any medical condition, practice yoga postures after consulting a doctor and a Sri Sri Yoga teacher. Find a Sri Sri Yoga program at an Art of Living Center near you. Do you need information on programs or share feedback? Write to us at email@example.com.