Dhanurasana has been named after the shape the body takes while performing it – that of a bow. Dhanu means bow; Asana means posture or pose.
How to do Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
- Lie on your stomach with your feet hip-width apart and your arms by the side of your body.
- Fold your knees, take your hands backwards and hold your ankles.
- Breathing in, lift your chest off the ground and pull your legs up and back.
- Look straight ahead with a smile on your face.
- Keep the pose stable while paying attention to your breath. Your body is now curved and taut as a bow.
- Continue to take long deep breaths as you relax in this pose. But bend only as far as your body permits you to. Do not overdo the stretch.
- After 15 -20 seconds, as you exhale, gently bring your legs and chest to the ground. Release the ankles and relax.
8 benefits of Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
- Strengthens the back and abdominal muscles
- Stimulates the reproductive organs
- Opens up the chest, neck and shoulders
- Tones the leg and arm muscles
- Adds greater flexibility to the back
- Good stress and fatigue buster
- Relieves menstrual discomfort and constipation
- Helps people with renal (kidney) disorders
Contraindications of Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
- Do not practice Dhanurasana (Bow Pose) if you have:
- High or low blood pressure
- Neck injury
- Pain in the lower back
- Headache migraine
- Recent abdominal surgery
- Ladies should avoid practicing this yoga pose during pregnancy.
View All - Yoga Postures Lying On Stomach
Yoga practice helps develop the body and mind bringing a lot of health benefits yet is not a substitute for medicine. It is important to learn and practice yoga postures under the supervision of a trained Sri Sri Yoga teacher. In case of any medical condition, practice yoga postures after consulting a doctor and an Sri Sri Yoga teacher. Find an Sri Sri Yoga course at an Art of Living Center near you. Do you need information on courses or share feedback? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yoga brings deep rest to the body and mind. It not only rejuvenates...
Your digitally-strained eyes will thank you for these simple...
If you are looking at losing weight, developing a strong and...