Salamba – Supported, Bhujang – Cobra, asana – pose
Salamba Bhujangasana (Sphinx pose) is a modified version of Bhujangasana to help beginners ease their way into it. This pose is also good for people who have lower back ache as it has less arch and therefore reduces the pressure on the spine.
How to do Sphinx Pose (Salamba Bhujangasana)
- Lie on your stomach with your toes flat on the floor and forehead resting on the ground.
- Keep your legs close together, with your feet and heels lightly touching each other.
- Stretch your hands in front of you with palms facing downward and arms touching the ground.
- Taking a deep breath in, slowly lift your head, chest and abdomen while keeping your navel on the floor.
- Pull your torso back and off the floor with support of your arms.
- Keep breathing with awareness, as you curve your spine vertebra by vertebra.
- Ensure that your feet are still close together and head facing straight ahead.
- Breathing out, gently bring down your abdomen, chest and head back to the floor.
Benefits of the Sphinx Pose (Salamba Bhujangasana)
- The Sphinx pose helps strengthen the spine and stimulates the abdominal organs. It also expands the chest and shoulders. This yoga posture also helps in improving blood circulation while relieving the body of stress.
Contraindications of the Sphinx Pose (Salamba Bhujangasana)
- Sphinx pose should be avoided if you are pregnant, have fractured ribs or wrists, or recently underwent abdominal surgery.
You may follow up this pose with Viparita Shalabhasana (Superman pose).
Yoga practice helps develop the body and mind bringing a lot of health benefits yet is not a substitute for medicine. It is important to learn and practice yoga postures under the supervision of a trained Sri Sri Yoga teacher. In case of any medical condition, practice yoga postures after consulting a doctor and an Sri Sri Yoga teacher. Find an Sri Sri Yoga course at an Art of Living Center near you. Do you need information on courses or share feedback? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are looking at losing weight, developing a strong and...
For centuries, people from all civilizations have offered prayers...
Every day after you wake up, the health of your body sets the...